- This event has passed.
Massachusetts Pirates vs. Frisco Fighters – OPENING NIGHT
March 12, 2022 @ 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
The Massachusetts Pirates and Frisco Fighters will meet for both teams’ first game of the 2022 season at the Phoenix Field at the DCU Center in Worcester, MA. The last time these two teams matched up against each other was in the IFL Semi-Final game at Phoenix Field where the Pirates came away with the win, 43-22 to advance to the United Bowl. The most notable game between both teams was during their second game versus each other in 2021 when Josh Griggs kicked a 27-yard game-winning field goal. A former Pirates player now is a part of the Fighters roster as Pirates long-time fan favorite Defensive Lineman JD Griggs signed with Frisco during this offseason.
The Pirates have a 2-1 record (1-1 at the DCU Center) versus the Fighters during their matchups in 2021, which was the first season that both the Pirates and Fighters were a part of the Indoor Football League. Over their three matchups, the Pirates edged out the Fighters in their rushing attack 253-219 yards, while the Fighters edged out the Pirates in their passing attack 271-240 yards. In terms of scoring, the Pirates outscored the Fighters 114-99.
The Pirates will be revealing their United Bowl Championship banner during the pre-game ceremony and will be looking to start their path to defending the championship with a win in front of their home fans. Kickoff is at 7:00pm and doors open at 6:00pm.
Want to See More Events?
To see all the events in the Worcester area from our trusted partners, click here.
Planning a Downtown Event?
Check out the events supplies and services available to you here.
Need Help Submitting an Event on Our Events Calendar?
- Go to the discovercentralma.org website and scroll to bottom of page
- To only enter events into the calendar and not become a Discover Central MA member, click Already a member? Login to your account
- Fill out the information in English to Create an Account and click Create Account
- You will then be directed to a page where you can post events
- Select Manage My Events to enter events into the calendar
- Click Create Event button
- Enter the name in English and dates of your event and select Create Event & Continue
- Add in all event details in English and an image that is under 690 pixels
- When finished, check the box that says Request addition to the Downtown Worcester Calendar
- Click Send to Review
All posted events will be subject to review by the Discover Central Massachusetts and Downtown Worcester Business Improvement District staff prior to approval. Please submit events at least two weeks in advance as it can take up to 7-9 days for your event to appear on our events calendar. Please review event guidelines HERE.