- This event has passed.
Damn, That’s Poetic: Introduction to Writing Fiction with Leslie-Ann Murray (Virtual)
May 21, 2022 @ 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Part writing workshop and part the study of craft, in this workshop we will spend our time studying the mechanics of description – setting, place, and objective correlative. Students will study an excerpt from Arundhait Roy’s The God of Small Things and discuss how the writer uses descriptions to render her characters real. Students will study tone, imagery, and lyricism in her writing. Afterwards, we will use a guided writing prompt to mimic these literary devices in our own writing.
What Will Writers Gain From The Toolbox Session?
1. Participants will learn how to balance literary devices – descriptions, setting, and place in their writing.
2. Participants will learn how to generate ideas for their creative writing through free writing.
3. Participants will learn the basics of the first drafting process.
Leslie-Ann Murray is a fiction writer from Trinidad & Tobago. She created Brown Girl Book Lover where she interviews diverse writers and reviews books that should be at the forefront of our imagination. She is currently working on her first novel, This Has Made Us Beautiful. Leslie-Ann has been published in Poets & Writers, Zone3, Ploughshares, and Salamander Literary Magazine. Leslie-Ann has taught creative writing in France, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa, China, and New York City.
Want to See More Events?
To see all the events in the Worcester area from our trusted partners, click here.
Planning a Downtown Event?
Check out the events supplies and services available to you here.
Need Help Submitting an Event on Our Events Calendar?
- Go to the discovercentralma.org website and scroll to bottom of page
- To only enter events into the calendar and not become a Discover Central MA member, click Already a member? Login to your account
- Fill out the information in English to Create an Account and click Create Account
- You will then be directed to a page where you can post events
- Select Manage My Events to enter events into the calendar
- Click Create Event button
- Enter the name in English and dates of your event and select Create Event & Continue
- Add in all event details in English and an image that is under 690 pixels
- When finished, check the box that says Request addition to the Downtown Worcester Calendar
- Click Send to Review
All posted events will be subject to review by the Discover Central Massachusetts and Downtown Worcester Business Improvement District staff prior to approval. Please submit events at least two weeks in advance as it can take up to 7-9 days for your event to appear on our events calendar. Please review event guidelines HERE.