- This event has passed.
Tool Training: Glass Shop
May 17 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
One event on March 22, 2022 at 6:00 pm
One event on April 20, 2022 at 6:00 pm
One event on May 17, 2022 at 6:00 pm
One event on June 23, 2022 at 6:00 pm
This class is designed to empower and certify individuals interested in using and accessing a glass shop, and more specifically Technocopia's glass shop. The class will cover tool use, safety, etiquette & basic techniques required for independently using of the Technocopia Glass Shop.
Glass Flameworking is an old-world technique that sculpts glass using gravity and the flame of a bench torch. What to expect in this three-hour Tool Training: students will receive an introduction to tools, materials, safety training and shop etiquette. Instructional demonstration and supervised hands-on torch time will teach fundamental techniques of manipulating borosilicate (hard) glass. Closed-toe shoes and natural fiber clothing are required.
This class runs once monthly on the following dates from 6-9pm.
Thurs, Feb. 24th
Tues, March 22nd
Weds, April 20th
Tues, May 17th
Thurs, June 23rd
- Successful completion of this course will result in certification to independent use of the tools directly covered in the course. Students must become members of the Technocopia makerspace to access such tools. Non-members who complete this course will be eligible to participate in future project-based classes which require these tools.
- Private Tool Trainings, Skill-Building Classes and Artisan Workshops are also available by appointment. For questions and scheduling please contact the Glass Shop Steward, Molly Jackson. https://technocopia.squarespace.com/email-molly-jackson
- The glass shop and its classes are for ages 18 or older only. Ages 12-17 must be accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Please visit https://technocopia.org/directions for more information about getting to and parking around Technocopia.
- Review our class cancellations and refund policies here: http://technocopia.org/class-policies
About This Instructor
Molly Jackson is Technocopia’s Glass Shop steward. She studied Flameworking at The Worcester Center for Crafts. Currently she offers classes both there and at Technocopia. Since 2003 her glass jewelry has been featured in international and domestic magazines (Vogues, Women’s Wear Daily, Harper's Bazaar, Glass Quarterly, Modern Bride and many more), runways from Manhattan’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week to Osaka, Japan, celebrities (Britney Spears, Ozzy Osborn and more) and sold in boutiques around the globe. 2015 brought her into a new venture of glass sculpture and installations. Most recently her pieces were accepted into the “Now! New Works, New Artists” exhibit.
Want to See More Events?
To see all the events in the Worcester area from our trusted partners, click here.
Planning a Downtown Event?
Check out the events supplies and services available to you here.
Need Help Submitting an Event on Our Events Calendar?
- Go to the discovercentralma.org website and scroll to bottom of page
- To only enter events into the calendar and not become a Discover Central MA member, click Already a member? Login to your account
- Fill out the information to Create an Account and click Create Account
- You will then be directed to a page where you can post events
- Select Manage My Events to enter events into the calendar
- Click Create Event button
- Enter the name and dates of your event and select Create Event & Continue
- Add in all event details and an image that is under 690 pixels
- When finished, check the box that says Request addition to the Downtown Worcester Calendar
- Click Send to Review
All posted events will be subject to review by the Discover Central Massachusetts and Downtown Worcester Business Improvement District staff prior to approval. Please submit events at least two weeks in advance as it can take up to 7-9 days for your event to appear on our events calendar. Please review event guidelines HERE.